The explosion of the Wellington Pit at Whitehaven in 1910 killed 136 men and boys. At the time Cumberland was the finest of all of Britains coalfields. We were commissioned to produce the Wellington banner in 2010 to commemorate the centenary of the disaster. This was commissioned in partnership with the Cumbria Record Office and Local Studies Library. As part of this project we undertook educational programmes in local schools. It was unveiled as part of a parade from The Beacon to Castle Park. It is on display at the Beacon when not in use. Haig Colliery Mining Museum commissioned another banner to remember the last pit in this once mighty coalfield, which closed in 1984. The banner was also unveiled with a parade through the centre of Whitehaven. When not in use it is on display at the Haig Mining Museum.
For more information see: